When you Add or Edit Contacts the application will handle the following:
• Contact email duplicates
• Deactivated contacts – See Deactivated Contacts
• Updating contact data and lists when a duplicate is present
A contact email duplicate is determined by a matching email address only. Email addresses are never updated.
Example: If you add a contact with “Jack Smith” (firstname.lastname@example.org) and a contact with the same first and last name “Jack Smith” (email@example.com) already exists. The contact’s email address would NOT be updated, a new contact would be added (Jack Smith firstname.lastname@example.org).
When adding contacts
• Contact email duplicates would keep the contact from being added again AND contact data and lists would be updated.
A contact’s data or lists would never be removed when duplicate is found. Information is only added.
• If you add a contact that is a duplicate, any additional data fields will be updated on that Contact record such as their First Name.
Example: If you add a contact with “Jackk Smith” (email@example.com) and then a duplicate contact is found “Jack Smith” (firstname.lastname@example.org). The contact’s First Name would be updated to “Jack”.
Example: If you add a contact with “Jack <blank>” (email@example.com) and then a duplicate contact is found “Jack Smith” (firstname.lastname@example.org). The contact’s Last Name would NOT be made blank.
• If you add a contact already in your database but in another list, they will be added to the list(s) you chose.
Example: If you add a contact to a list “food” only and then a duplicate contact is found who is in the list “drinks” already. The contact would be added to the list “food” and NOT be removed from the list “drinks”.
• Deactivated contacts are also duplicates, however, their information is not updated.
A deactivated contact can NOT be reactivated by adding the contact again.
When editing contacts
• When Contacts edit their profile they can remove or add their data or lists AND change their email address.
Contacts can change their status to “deactivated” by unsubscribing.
• When you edit your contacts through the application you can remove or add their data or lists.
You can also change the contact status to either “active” or “deactivated”.
It is not recommended to change a contact’s status from “deactivated” to “active”. The results could be increased complaints and the suspension of your account.